What is it?
CompTIA Network+ validates the technical skills needed to securely establish, maintain and troubleshoot the essential networks that businesses rely on.
Why is it different?
• Unlike other vendor-specific networking certifications, CompTIA Network+ prepares candidates to support networks on any platform. It provides the foundation you need to work on networks anywhere.
• CompTIA Network+ is the only certification that covers the specific skills that network engineers need. Other certifications are so broad, they don’t cover the hands-on skills and precise knowledge needed to in today’s networking environments.
About the exam
CompTIA Network+ N10-008 validates the skills required to implement enterprise-level wired and wireless network solutions; identify and troubleshoot network performance issues; and harden networks against threats to mitigate security vulnerabilities.
The major areas of emphasis include:
• IP addressing and connecting networks
• Wireless standards and technologies
• Network availability
• Securing and hardening networks
The CompTIA Network+ exam covers five major domains.
• Networking Fundamentals (24%)
• Network Implementations (19%)
• Network Operations (16%)
• Network Security (19%)
What’s in this version?
The new CompTIA Network+ focuses on foundational networking tools and technologies used to create secure networks and guarantee the availability of critical business information.
New updates to the CompTIA Network+ exam domains:
• Network architecture appears on the exam for the first time, including software-defined networking, ensuring that candidates understand network integrations and the cutting-edge technologies being used in deployments.
• Emerging wireless standards and technologies are covered to allow businesses flexibility and maximal security when deploying networks.
• Because constant access to both internal networks and SaaS applications drives productivity, network performance monitoring and high availability are covered as separate objectives.
• Network security has been streamlined to focus on the critical aspects of hardening networks against malicious attacks and the secure execution of network deployments to protect against unintended data breaches.
How does CompTIA Network+ Compare to Alternatives?
Top Network+ Job Titles
• Junior Network Administrator
• Datacenter Support Technician
• Network Engineer
• System Administrator
• NOC Technician
• Telecommunications Technician
• Cable Technician
CompTIA Certification Pathway
CompTIA certifications align with the skillsets needed to support and manage IT infrastructure. Enter where appropriate for you. Consider your experience and existing certifications or course of study.
Technical Areas Covered in the Certification
• Compare and contrast the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model layers and encapsulation concepts
• Explain the characteristics of network topologies and network types
• Summarize the types of cables and connectors and explain which is the appropriate type for a solution
• Configure a subnet and use appropriate IP addressing schemes
• Explain common ports and protocols, their application, and encrypted alternatives
• Explain the use and purpose of network services
• Explain basic corporate and datacenter network architecture
• Summarize cloud concepts and connectivity options
• Compare and contrast various devices, their features, and their appropriate placement on the network
• Compare and contrast routing technologies and bandwidth management concepts
• Configure and deploy common Ethernet switching features
• Install and configure the appropriate wireless standards and technologies
• Use the appropriate statistics and sensors to ensure network availability
• Explain the purpose of organizational documents and policies
• Explain high availability and disaster recovery concepts and summarize which is the best solution
• Explain common security concepts
• Compare and contrast common types of attacks
• Apply network hardening techniques
• Compare and contrast remote access methods and security implications
• Explain the importance of physical security
• Explain the network troubleshooting methodology
• Troubleshoot common cable connectivity issues and select the appropriate tools
• Use the appropriate network software tools and commands
• Troubleshoot common wireless connectivity issues
• Troubleshoot general networking issues
Organizations that trust CompTIA Network+
• Blue Cross & Blue Shield
• Department of Defense